At the moment. I would consider underground artists as anyone who isn’t getting regular play on the radio (but honestly I don’t even listen to the radio that much so don’t quote me). So, lately I’ve been real into this type of r&b bad girl vibe feel like Summer Walker (she’s not on this list I don’t really consider her underground). But girls who sing about sex, drugs and whatever else and not just love. I don’t know being in my late 20’s and going through romantic relationships that whole love me and I can’t live without you thing doesn’t appeal to me. But maybe I’m just growing through a phase or realizing I don’t really need a man – probably a little bit of both. The other half of this list is my love for reggae type of music with 2 artists from Nigeria with that whole tropical vibe going on. These are the artists I’m digging right now and the songs I feel like you need to be familiar with from them.
- Iamddb: I’ve recently become obsessed with this singer and I love her smooth soulful voice but I love it more that she’s not singing about needing a mans love. She makes songs that give you confidence and hype you up. She calls her sound a fusion of trap and jazz. Listen to: shade, xox & urban jazz live.
- Ojerime: bad girl r&b tracks. Like late 90s early 2000s bad girl r&b vibes. Reminds me a little bit of Aaliyah. Just really in love with her sound. I like love songs that are a lil dirty. A lil gritty and that’s what you get with this artist. Listen to: turn you off, 56 plate corsa & handle.
- Santi: this Nigerian artist has all these summery chill vibes that I love. Roll your hips music. And honestly every time I hear a track it puts me in a better mood and I just want to get up and dance the bs away. Listen to: sparky, rapid fire, freaky. Also check out his new album that’s being released on May 17th.
- Dizzy Fae: She’s like electric pop/r&b. Idk but her sound is fun it’s experimental and different. And her raspy high voice over upbeat sounds is all I need on a hot humid summery afternoon. Her sound kind of reminds me of a soft 80s electric feel. Listen to: lifestyle, baby pillz, & indica.
- Odunsi: I’ve had one of his songs on a monthly playlist and have been infatuated with his music ever since. He’s another Nigerian artist and is apart of the alte scene out there which is for the youth doing new bold things in music and fashion. His sound is really a whole vibe and is perfect for relaxed chill summer nights. Listen to: tipsy, rare, & star signs.
Also here’s a little playlist with all the suggested songs from these artists.
Being a little healthier right now as I wanna be feeling myself for my birthday in a month. So, I’ve been doing smoothies for breakfast and this one lately has been my favorite.
3 frozen bananas
Handful of blueberries
Chia seeds (a little or a lot depending how I feel)
Blend it all up. And there ya go it’s super creamy and I was getting tired of just having plain banana smoothies. And blueberries are good for loosing weight. While bananas are starchy and keep me full for awhile.
hope you guys will try and enjoy this smoothie!
May’s playlist is here. And it’s an intense – deep feeling one but that’s the mood I’ve been in lately.
Photography: Xuebing Du
If you’re vegan you’ve heard of had and probably cooked you’re own tofu scramble. I’ve been sort of experimenting with tofu scrambles trying to perfect it myself at home. I know most scrambled have the yellow color to mimic eggs usually using turmeric or curry powder but I don’t always have those spices on hand (and tbh I don’t care about the yellow color as much as the taste). So, here’s the recipe for my go to tofu scramble.
1/2 a block of extra firm tofu
1/2 a cup of baby Bella mushrooms
1 cup of spinach
2 mini tomato’s
I added the tofu to the pan first crumbling it with my hand. Then added the chopped mushrooms. The tomato’s and a splash of almond milk (this was my first time doing this and honestly game changer I’d seen other people on YouTube put milk in their scrambles and was unsure about it but it makes the scramble really creamy and good). I let this cook for a good 5 minutes then seasoned everything with black pepper, pink Himalayan salt, garlic powder and crushed red pepper. I ate the scramble as a burrito wrap with kite hill plain cream cheese and guacamole.
It was the best tofu scramble I’ve ever made. Now if only I could get my toddler to eat it.
Lately, I have been trying to figure out what drives me, what I’m passionate about, what I love and do as easily as breathing. I know I am a creative 1. Because I believe everyone is. Creativity is energy. And anyone and everyone can tap into it. And 2. Because I’ve created before I know I can again. I’ve kinda hit a rut, I guess. Ever since I’ve had my daughter creating seems like a struggle. It gives me anxiety. I procrastinate in doing it. It stresses me out I tell myself I don’t feel inspired and without that feeling whatever I do create won’t be that great. I think too much and then end up not creating at all. But sometimes there’s this fire in me that flickers a little and I know it’s still alive.
So, when I talked to one of my closest friends a couple weeks about what it is I wanna do with my life and what kinda impact I want to have. I started getting serious asking myself well what do I want to create and what do I want it to stand for and what do I want it to do for others and for myself. Cause creating really is a service.
And other than poetry and writing what is it that moves me. And it occurred to me that music moves me in ways that nothing else can. From a young age it’s been my thing. From singing in church choirs to singing in school chorus. Taking piano lessons and quitting it all. Music has always been the thing that moves my emotions and gets me feeling.
I remember being in high school feeling down about my looks not being secure in myself yet. I was so anti. I’d sit in my room after school everyday and listen to my radio. And I’d play Prince or Tupac my eyes closed and daydreaming. I’d fall asleep every night with my radio turned to v103s quit storm to keep the nightmares I’d have at bay (I’ve always had crazy vivid dreams that scared me that I’ve now learned to live with).
I guess what I’m trying to say is I think music is that thing for me I don’t know how or what to do with music. I know I don’t want to be a singer or rapper or performer. I take pride in these playlists I make every month. So, maybe something in that direction maybe making mixes. Maybe djing who knows honestly what I wanna do with my life changes so frequently (guess that’s the Gemini in me) something new always seems so exciting to me. But honestly music has always been with me.
I’m not sure what I mean to say here maybe nothing. But like if you know you’re destined for something and you’re unsure of what that something is this stage is okay too. Try a lot of shit out whatever interests you just try it and see what happens.
New playlist is up on my Spotify if you search “Samanthaliana” I’ll pop up but I’ll also post the link here for everyone too. Check it out and follow my Spotify. Leave me recommendations for the next playlist.